Frank the Father is an episode of F is for Family. It is the ninth episode of Season 3.
Frank tries a new parenting style after bailing Kevin out of jail. Maureen and Phillip finally appear on Hobo Jojo. Bill makes a life changing decision.
After getting Kevin back from jail, Frank tries a new approach and talks to Kevin about how his father treated him. Kevin isn’t interested and they end up fighting. Meanwhile Maureen and Phillip get to play ring toss on Hobo Jojo. When they are winning, Hobo Jojo cheats and they end up failing. Bill has to face a big choice, whether or not to run away with Bridget. He decides to run away but his trip doesn’t go as planned.
- Title Reference: Frank fulfilling his role as a father.
- Bill and Bridget share a first kiss.
- This episode is a big culmination of Frank and Kevin's entire father-son relationship.
- Kevin was told that Frank's father lived on a comet.
- Frank reveals that his father humiliated him and called him Francine when he was Bill's age, which explains his aggressive nature.
- Kevin now has a criminal record.
- In this episode it is said by Bill that Maureen is adopted. It is unknown if it’s true or not, although it is highly unlikely.
- Maureen and Phillip (chaperoned by Sue) get picked for the Coal Cart Carnival because Hobo JoJo actor Jim Jeffords has a fetish for pregnant women.
- The episode takes place on July 29, 1974, as referenced by the mailed tickets for the Hobo Jojo show Phillip gets in the previous episode It's In His Blood.
Frank: Do you ever wonder why we never see my father?
Kevin: Because he lives on a comet.
Frank: THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!
Kevin: THAT'S WHAT YOU TOLD ME, WHEN I WAS FOUR!!!
Frank: Oh that's right, I did. Well, here's the real reason.
Frank: How do I sum him up? I was in the fifth grade play. And my dad said he was actually going to take off work to come and see me, so I was excited. Well...turn out he just came down there to laugh at me. Which he did. Loudly and repeatedly. So. (Murmhem) I started to forget my lines. And more people started laughing. He humiliated me. Afterwards he refused me to give me a ride home because he said that there was no room in a DeSotto for sissies in act in plays. My mother was always silent. (Sniffle) Fucking guy drove...drove behind me the whole way over blowing the horn saying "Who wants a daughter? Thought I had a son!" Called me...Called me Francine for the Rest of the year. I told myself right then and there...that I would never be like him...I guess.,.it really hurts me to think that you look at me like-
Frank: OH WHAT THE FUCK!
Kevin: (Ahhhh!) JESUS CHRIST! THE HELL YOU DOING?!
Frank: I'M TRYING TO OPEN UP TO YOU YA FUCKIN" ASSHOLE!
Kevin: (Shouting) My ninth birthday! You took me to the beach! AND YOU LEFT ME THERE! AND THEN I GOT STUNG BY A JELLYFISH!!!
Frank: Ah you didn’t wind so much I wouldn’t tune you out. I WAS GETTING A BEER I SAW WHERE YOU WERE!
Bill: (Nervous) Home sweet home.
Kevin: (Agitated) I never even wanted me in the first place!
Frank: (Angry) THAT'S NOT TRUE!
Kevin: (Angry) THE FIRST FIVE YEARS OF MY LIFE, I THOUGHT MY NAME WAS THE ACCIDENT!
Frank: IT WAS A PLAYFUL JOKE BETWEEN YOUR MOTHER AND ME!
Kevin: (Screaming) YOU WROTE IT ON MY BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!
Frank: (Smiling) We were having fun!
Frank: (Seriously looking at Bill) Oh Jesus Christ. What do you want?!
Bill: (Gloomy) Dad? I really need to talk to you about something.
Frank: Not now, Bill! Huh? I'm in the middle of something.
Bill: Oh, this is really important.
Frank: (Angrily) CANT YOU SEE THAT I'M HAVING A HEART-TO-HEART BUT YOUR FUCKING BROTHER?!?!
Bill: (walks sternly in to his room)